This site uses affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The first step while planning your trip to Machu Picchu is to buy the entry tickets to Machu Picchu Inca ruins.
Since July 2011, the number of visitors has been limited to 2,500 per day.
I strongly recommend to buy Machu Picchu tickets way ahead especially if you are planning to visit Machu Picchu during the high season (late May through early October).
IMPORTANT! The tickets are not sold at Machu Picchu itself.
You can buy Machu Picchu tickets in-person in Cusco, Aguas Calientes, or any major city with a Banco de Nacíon, however it is wise to book ahead.
My recommendation is to buy Machu Picchu tickets online.
Following is a step-by-step guide how to buy Machu Picchu tickets online
GO TO PERU MINISTRY OF CULTURE WEBSITE
- First, go to Peru Ministry of Culture Website: Ministerio de Cultura del Peru. The site should display in English, as indicated by the “EN” on the top left (note: if it shows “ES”, click this and change to “EN”).
- Next, once the site is loaded, select BUY TICKETS.
SELECT THE DATE OF YOUR VISIT AND NUMBER OF VISITORS
- Next, from the menu located on the left hand side, select GENERAL. It means General Rate – Booking for foreign visitors with general rate.
- Then, enter the date of your visit and the number of visitors (adults and/or school children).
- Finally, select AVAILABILITY.
MAKE YOUR SELECTIONS
- Next, make your selections. You will have 4 choices:
- Machu Picchu
- Waynapicchu and Machu Picchu Inca ruins
- Montana MachuPicchu and Machu Picchu Inca ruins
- Manuel Chavez Ballon Museum
You need to decide if you are just going to visit just Machu Picchu Inca ruins, or if you are going to visit Machu Picchu Inca ruins and hike to Waynapicchu as well , or visit Machu Picchu Inca ruins and hike to Montana MachuPicchu, and finally, if you want to visit Manuel Chavez Ballon Museum.
- Next, you need to decide what time you want to enter the site.
The entry to Machu Picchu Inca ruins, Waynapicchu, and Montana Machupicchu is a timed entry.
For example, the entry times for Machu Picchu Inca ruins are on the hour starting at 6 am and ending at 2 pm. If you are planning to see sunrise at Machu Picchu, then you need to select 6 am entry time.
Next example, if you decide to enter Machu Picchu Inca ruins at 6 am, and hike to Waynapicchu, then you need to be at the entrance to the hiking trail between 7 am and 8 am.
- Moreover, once you make your selections, you will get the RATES for tickets for visiting Machu Picchu site.
- To clarify the prices of the tickets:
- ADULTS are 18+ years,
- SCHOOL CHILDREN are <18 years,
- and foreign (non-Peruvian) university STUDENTS include those with an original, valid university-issued ID and passport who are up to age 25 years.
HOW MUCH ARE THE ENTRANCE TICKETS TO MACHU PICCHU INCA RUINS?
Following are the prices of the ADULT entrance tickets to Machu Picchu as of September 2020:
- Machu Picchu (only) 6am-12pm: 152 soles/$45 USD
- Machu Picchu (only) 12-5:30 pm: 152 soles/$45 USD
- Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu hike 7-8 am (1G/G1): 200 soles/$59 USD
- Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu hike 10-11 am (2G/G2): 200 soles/$59 USD
- Machu Picchu + Montana 7-8 a.m (2G/G2): 200 soles/$59 USD
- Machu Picchu + Montana 10-11 a.m: 200 soles/$59 USD
HOW TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO AT MACHU PICCHU?
How do you decide what to do at Machu Picchu? Do you just explore Machu Picchu Inca ruins or do you hike to Waynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain as well? Here is some useful information to make your planning process simple!
- Huayna Picchu (Waynapicchu)
To start with, Waynapicchu is 8,923 ft/2,720 m high. It is a steep mountain. Needless to say, if you decide to hike, then keep in mind that it is a strenuous hike and it should be only attempted if you are in good physical condition.
The number of hikers is limited to 400 per day. In addition, the entry is timed. The first group enters between 7 am and 8 am. The second group enters between 10 am and 11 am.
- Machu Picchu Mountain
Machu Picchu Mountain is 7,874ft/2,400m high. It is a much easier hike.
The number of hikers is limited to 800 per day. Just like Waynapicchu, the entry to the mountain is timed. The first group is allowed to start hiking between 7 am and 8 am and the second group may enter between 9 am and 10 am.
- Museo Manuel Chávez Ballon
Museo Manuel Chávez Ballon is a great place to learn about the Inca culture and the process involved in building of Machu Picchu citadel.
However, Manuel Chavez Ballon Museum is not located at Machu Picchu Inca ruins, but rather it is situated about 15-20 minutes from Aguas Calientes.
Don’t have time to read it now?
Why not save it to your Pinterest board!
ENTER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Next, enter your personal information:
- Passport Number
- Last Name
- Name (First Name)
- Birth Date (DD/MM/YYYY)
- Once you enter your personal information, select NEXT. After you select NEXT, you will get a page with your reservation information. Verify the information and make sure everything is correct.
CONFIRM YOUR RESERVATION
- Next, read the terms and conditions and check off the box that you read then. And, then confirm your reservation.
- Select NEXT after you are done.
FILL OUT YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS AND EMAIL ADDRESS
- Next, enter your address, and then enter your email address.
- In addition, check off that you are not a robot.
- And finally, select GENERATE.
IMPORTANT! VERIFY RESERVATION INFORMATION
- Take your time and verify that all the information is correct
- Next, select PRINT RESERVATION.
SELECT PAYMENT METHOD AND PAY FOR YOUR TICKETS
- Next, select PAYMENT METHOD
- Enter your credit card number, expiration date, CVV, your name, and select PAY
- Next, go back to the homepage and select CHECK-IN.
- Next, enter your RESERVATION number and press SEARCH.
- Next page will display your tickets.
- Finally, PRINT YOUR TICKETS and you are done!
HOW TO BUY TICKETS TO MACHU PICCHU IN CUSCO
Ticket to Machu Picchu can be bought in Cusco. However, as I stated at the beginning, tickets sell out well in advance. It is wise to purchase the tickets online and have them before you travel to Machu Picchu.
All in all, in Cusco, tickets can be bought at the Ministerio de Cultura. The place is open Monday through Saturday from 7 am till 8 pm.
The address is Casa Garcilaso on Calle Garcilaso. It is located just before Plaza Regocijo and near Museo de Chocolate.
Remember to bring your passport and either a credit card or cash to complete your purchase.
HOW TO BUY TICKETS TO MACHU PICCHU IN AGUAS CALIENTES
You can purchase tickets Machu Picchu tickets in Aguas Calientes as well. Head to Machu Picchu Cultural Centre (Direccion Regional de Cultura Aguas Calientes Office).
The address is Av. Pachacutec (just off the main square). It is open Monday through Sunday from 5 am till 10 pm.
You must bring your passport and cash to finalize your purchase.
If you are going to be in Aguas Calientes for a couple of days, either waiting to get on a bus to Machu Picchu, or relaxing after a visit to Machu Picchu, then check out my post:
Did you find this useful?
Why not save it to your Pinterest board!
Now, I would like to hear back from you!
Are you planning your trip to Machu Picchu?
Please let me know! Drop me a quick comment right below!
Also, click on any of the images below to get inspired and to help you with the planning process with your trip to Peru!
Finally, to help you with your planning process of your trip to Peru, make sure to check out my post: 1-Week Peru Itinerary (+BONUS: 3-Day Extension Itinerary to Peruvian Amazon Rainforest.